Newburgh is a small village on the Ythan estuary, about 5-or-so miles south of Collieston. The estuary is home to a large number of seabirds and is a haul-out for a colony of grey and harbour seals.
The estuary is also the location of the disused Newburgh Lifeboat station, the first in Scotland to have been provided by the RNLI in 1828. It remained in use until 1965.
To the North of the estuary lie the Sands of Forvie Nature Reserve, which stretches all the way to Collieston. At the heart of dune system lies the abandoned village of Forvie, which was buried in sand by a 9 day storm in 1413. All that is visible today are the remains of the 12th century church of St Adamnan.